Careers at MacLean Engineering
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is a Canadian manufacturer of heavy equipment. We are currently seeking a candidate for the following position to join our team.
Position Title: Senior Buyer
Reporting to: Purchasing Manager
Location: This position can be in our Barrie, Collingwood, Owen Sound or Sudbury office. Please indicate your location preference in the screening questions.
MacLean Engineering is looking for skilled and experienced Senior Buyer to join our team. This is a great opportunity to be part of a dynamic team. If you are looking to be challenged, valued, and rewarded with a competitive compensation package in a dynamic work environment, this position is for you!
About the Position:
As part of our supply chain organization, the Buyer position is a key function in support of our production and engineering departments. The buyer role in establishing and maintaining strong relationships with our preferred suppliers and to negotiate, procure and expedite required components/services is key to the company’s success and growth. Buyer is expected to maintain the production schedule buy ensuring on time deliveries and to meet both internal and external customers’ needs.
This position requires the following proficiencies
- Source, select and maintain Approved Suppliers based on consistent monitoring of departmental key performance indicators of Cost, quality and on time delivery
- Work closely with the Engineering department to qualify, audit and approve suppliers and design/specs
- Maintain a close liaison with the commodity specific Engineers to ensure proper focus on technical expertise, material design and product rationalizations leading to cost reduction opportunities
- Ensure that Purchase Order accuracy and that Supplier’s products and/or services will meet specified requirements and the established targets •
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with best in class, dependable Suppliers and Subcontractors that are capable and are well positioned to meet company’s requirements
- Work with the Planners/schedulers to identify and execute follow ups, expedite, de-expedite and cancellations
- Negotiate/develop sound and favorable supplier agreements with the focus on cost, quality, lead times, payment terms, warranties and termination/penalty clauses
- Develop and publish key performance indicators (KPIs) for both internal and external activities identifying gaps, root causes and corrective action
- Participate as required in early supplier development Teams
- Participate as required in any Cross-Functional Development or Improvement Teams
- Prepare/Administer the tender process through the creation/execution of RFQ’s and RFP’s
- Monitor, analyze and report on Purchase Price variances on a monthly basis
- Process purchase Orders based on the daily MRP demands
- Monitor & improve EOQs and inventory performance
The successful candidate will ideally have the following education and experience:
- Related post-secondary education (i.e. College Diploma in Business Administration or Materials Management)
- Related formal enrollment in the recognized program leading to, or the attainment of a Certificate of Technical Proficiency in Purchasing, from PMAC
- Experience and knowledge of purchasing hydraulics
- 3-5 years purchasing experience, preferably in a heavy equipment related industry
- 3-5 years’ experience with MRP/ERP (SAP, Oracle, AX and others)
- Proven organizational and time management skills and strong attention to detail
- Rudimentary knowledge of negotiation doctrines
- Problem solving and analytical skills leading to business problem resolution is essential
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively and professionally with customers and employees at all levels (both oral and written)
- Continuous Improvement, i.e. providing suggestions leading to cost reduction and / or containment, increased efficiency, increase communication
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment with minimal supervision
MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for over 40 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company’s founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality-oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We offer competitive wages and benefits including:
- 3 weeks' vacation annually
- Paid Overtime after 40 hours worked
- Flexible Group benefits Package (Once probationary period is completed)
- Voluntary DPSP (Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan) and GRRSP (Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan) (Once probationary period is completed)
- Annual Employee Bonus
If you are interested in being a part of an established and growing Canadian Company, we want to hear from you!
This position can be in our Barrie, Collingwood, Owen Sound or Sudbury office. Please indicate your location preference in the screening questions.
We thank all applicants in advance for their application and interest in MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co Limited. However only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
MacLean Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If applying via e-mail, please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.