Careers at MacLean Engineering
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is a Canadian manufacturer of heavy equipment. We are currently seeking a candidate for the following position to join our team.
Position Title: Welder
Shifts Available: Day Shift – 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (5 x 8-hour shifts, Monday to Friday)
Afternoon Shift – 4:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. (4 x 10-hour shifts, Monday to Thursday)
Location: Owen Sound, Ontario
MacLean Engineering is looking for a Welder to join our fabrication team at our Owen Sound, ON manufacturing facility. We are seeking an ambitious and progressive candidate to work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines. This is a great opportunity to be part of a growing team that manufactures heavy duty mobile mining vehicles for our customers worldwide.
About the Position:
The Welder position is responsible for operating welding equipment to weld ferrous/non-ferrous metals according to engineering specifications in compliance with all MEMCO policies and procedures. The position also requires the following proficiencies:
- Read and interpret engineered drawings, blueprints, or welding process specifications with minimal supervision.
- Competent at efficiently and timely fitting and welding all parts designated for L1 by Supervisor.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments using processes such as gas metal arc (GMAW), flux-cored arc (FAW), shielded metal arc (SMAW), and oxy-acetylene (OAW).
- Operate hand and bench grinder to shape and prepare metal parts for welding.
- Operate metal shaping or cutting machines such as bandsaw, and other metal straightening and bending machines.
- Operate flame/plasma cutting equipment for repairs.
- Operate material handling devices such as; overhead crane, gantry crane, and forklift in compliance with applicable safety standards and best practices. Material handling includes safe rigging and transportation of various loads.
- Assist with equipment/product repairs as needed.
- Document Engineering Change Requests according to applicable procedures under direction of Supervisor.
- Adopt and practice good housekeeping, 5S, and Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Ability to quickly grasp welding and fitting concepts and apply to multiple projects. Potential for improvement in lesser competence will be recognized by Supervisor.
- Abide by all applicable regulatory and company-specific safety standards.
- Abide by ISO 9001 Quality Management System and associated procedures.
- Contribute to continual improvement of safety, quality, product, production, and work environment.
- Willing to cross-train in other departments as needed on a temporary basis.
The successful candidate has a positive attitude, is open minded, willing to learn and is flexible along with the following qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Certificate of Completion
- Completion of a C of Q in Welding or some college/industry courses in welding is preferred
- One (1) + years' experience fitting and welding is required
About Us: MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for almost 50 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. MacLean Engineering has three manufacturing facilities located in Collingwood, Owen Sound, and our newest facility in Barrie.
Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality-oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We offer competitive wages and benefits including:
- 3 weeks' vacation annually
- $1.50 per hour shift premium for hours worked on the afternoon shift
- Paid Overtime after 40 hours worked
- Flexible Group benefits Package (Once probationary period is completed)
- Voluntary DPSP (Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan) and GRRSP (Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan) (Once probationary period is completed)
- Annual Employee Bonus
- $200.00 Annual Safety Shoe allowance
- Company paid uniforms
We thank all applicants in advance for their application and interest in MacLean Engineering. However only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
MacLean Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If applying via e-mail, please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.