Careers at MacLean Engineering
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is a Canadian manufacturer of heavy equipment. We are currently seeking a candidate for the following position to join our team.
Position Title: Buyer
Reporting To: Purchasing Manager
Location: Owen Sound, Ontario
MacLean Engineering is looking for a Buyer to join and add value to our Purchasing team in Owen Sound, Ontario. If you are looking to be challenged, valued, and rewarded with a competitive compensation package in a dynamic work environment, this position is for you!
About the Position:
The Buyer position involves the following proficiencies:
- Purchase and expedite standard and non-standard inventory and non-inventory products.
- Source, select and maintain effective relationships with competent and dependable Suppliers and Subcontractors.
- Work with Production Planners/Schedulers to ensure that all components and services are pre-scheduled with Suppliers, and expedite purchased parts or products, as required, to maintain our production schedules.
- Maintain a close liaison with Engineering in order to ensure proper focus on technical expertise, material, design and product rationalizations leading to cost reduction opportunities.
- Ensure that purchase orders are clearly indicative of specified requirements and that the Supplier’s will meet said requirements at the most competitive cost, quality and delivery.
- Assist in the monthly audits of approved Suppliers to ensure that they meet or exceed our expected performance indicators for quality, delivery and cost.
- Execute efficient and timely expediting and follow-up routines on identified shortage lists, overdue requirements, moved-in schedule for Suppliers and Subcontracts, and internal manufactured service components.
- Maintain accurate and current approved Supplier files and documentation as pertinent to the overall performance of the Buyer position, and the in-house work instructions.
- Administer the tender process, through the creation of RFQ's and RFP's.
- Promote a professional company image through courteous and efficient dealing with Suppliers and Subcontractors.
- Monitor, analyze and report on purchase price variances on a monthly basis.
- Perform any other relevant duties and projects as required.
The successful candidate must be willing to learn, open-minded, flexible, organized, detail oriented, team oriented, disciplined and must have a positive attitude, along with the following qualifications:
- Diploma or Degree in Business Administration, Materials Management, or related discipline
- Enrolment in or the attainment of a certificate of Technical Proficiency in Purchasing from PMAC is required
- Three to Five (3-5) years purchasing experience, preferably in a heavy equipment related industry
- Three to Five (3-5) years’ experience with MRP/ERP
- Experience in the procurement of raw materials (steel) and fabricated components an asset
- Intermediate knowledge of negotiation doctrines
- Previous Computer Experience (MS Office) preferred
- Proven organizational and time management skills and strong attention to detail
- Problem solving and analytical skills leading to business problem resolution is essential
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment with minimal supervision
MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for almost 50 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. MacLean Engineering has three manufacturing facilities located in Collingwood, Owen Sound, and our newest facility in Barrie. Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality-oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We thank all applicants in advance for their application and interest in MacLean Engineering. However only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
MacLean Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If applying via e-mail, please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.