Careers at MacLean Engineering
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is a Canadian manufacturer of heavy equipment. We are currently seeking a candidate for the following position to join our team.
Position Title: General Labourer
Afternoon Shift: Monday to Thursday 4:00 pm – 2:00 am (4x10 hour shifts)
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
MacLean Engineering is looking for skilled and experienced General Laborer to join our growing team in Collingwood, Ontario. If you are looking to be challenged, valued, and rewarded with a competitive compensation package in a dynamic work environment, this position is for you!
About the position:
The General Laborer position involves grinding and labeling parts, handling raw material with an overhead crane, moving parts on a cart to other workcentres, cycle counting raw material, and assisting Machine Operators with operating a band-saw, plasma burn table, or drill press. The General Laborer will also be responsible for a mixture of routine duties and project work as assigned and schedule by the production Supervisor. This position requires the following proficiencies:
- Safely rig and operate 5-ton overhead crane.
- Receive and put away raw material: 4’x8’ steel plate, and various 20’+ structural steel
- Identify and handle various raw material using a 5-ton overhead crane and/or forklift as required to stage at band-saw or plasma burn table for cutting.
- Stage raw material using a forklift and/or overhead crane for bandsaw and plasma burn table.
- Unload parts from burn table, remove slag, edges, and spatter from parts using hand tools and grinders (pneumatic and electric), label parts with a paint marker.
- Shot-blast and mask parts to prepare for painting, working with a painter, as required.
- Move finished parts to designated workstation(s) in priority sequence as required.
- Run bandsaw, cold-cut saw, plasma burn table, or drill press as required (training and mentoring provided).
- Assist with part layout for drilling.
- Remove garbage/recycling, and damaged wooden pallets from production and warehouse work areas using carts and/or forklift to dispose in scrap bins. This requires some lifting and endurance, working indoors and outdoors in all seasons.
- General custodial services using various cleaning supplies and equipment, including operation of ride-on floor cleaner (Zamboni), and some facilities cleaning.
- Snow removal and grounds maintenance as required, using municipal vehicle & sweeping/snow removal attachments, snow blower, shovel, de-icing, lawn mower, leaf blower, etc.
- Assist Maintenance with various project work, general construction, preventative maintenance, inspections, and repairs as assigned.
- Implement and maintain 5S housekeeping principles at all times.
- Cross-train in other departments as available.
The successful candidate(s) must be willing to learn, open-minded and flexible, organized and detail oriented, team oriented, disciplined, and must have a positive attitude, along with the following qualifications:
- Previous experience working safely in a manufacturing environment operating equipment
- Experience operating a band saw plasma-arc burn table, or drill press is an asset
- Forklift and overhead crane experience and certification is an asset.
- Eager and willing to learn and progress.
MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for over 40 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. MacLean Engineering has three manufacturing facilities located in Collingwood, Owen Sound, and our newest facility in Barrie. Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We offer competitive wages and benefits including:
- 3 weeks' vacation annually
- $1.50 per hour shift premium for afternoon and weekend shift employees
- Paid Overtime after 40 hours worked
- Flexible Group benefits Package (Once probationary period is completed)
- Voluntary DPSP (Deferred Profit Sharing Plan) and GRRSP (Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan) (Once probationary period is completed)
- Annual Employee Bonus
- $150 Annual Safety Shoe allowance
- Company Paid Uniforms
If you are interested in being a part of an established and growing Canadian Company, we want to hear from you!
MacLean Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If applying via e-mail, please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.