Careers at MacLean Engineering
MacLean Engineering & Marketing Co. Limited is a Canadian manufacturer of heavy equipment. We are currently seeking a candidate for the following position to join our team.
Position Title: Health, Safety, Environment (HSE) Coordinator
Location: Collingwood, Ontario
Note: The option of a home location of either Collingwood, ON or Owen Sound, ON is available with the expectation of travel between sites two days a week.
MacLean Engineering is looking for skilled and experienced Health, Safety, Environment (HSE) Coordinator to join our team. This is a great opportunity to be part of a growing team working cross functionally throughout the organization. If you are looking to be challenged, valued, and rewarded with a competitive compensation package in a dynamic work environment, this position is for you!
About the Position:
Working closely with production, the coordinator will assist the HSE team with the development, implementation and promotion of strategies, procedures and systems across the company leading teams above and beyond compliance.
This position requires the following proficiencies:
Health and Safety:
- Coordinate and assess effectiveness of orientation and training activities: online, third-party, webinars, internal. Track through matrix, file records, audit job specific training completion
- Lead audit and create action plans (eg. WSIB Safety Groups Audit); Evaluate program elements (emergency response, machine-guarding, WHMIS, orientation etc.) through observation, interviews, surveys, and documentation review.
- Update, prepare and assist supervisors with gaps from HSE Statistics (leading and lagging indicators)
- Review incident investigations and associated trends; Assist supervisors w/root causes, corrective actions, and follow up
- Draft and submit workers’ compensation reports, assist with return-to-work process (modified duties documentation, meet with employees, follow up on cases)
- Prepare materials for monthly Supervisor/HSE meetings
- Conduct monthly Supervisor/HSE meetings
- Develop action plans for Job Hazard Analysis including coordinating Focus Groups to control high-risk hazards
- Provide support to Joint Health, Safety Committee and assist with administrative tasks
- Regularly tour production floor to establish HSE presence, conduct spot-audits, provide support
- Create content for and update communication boards and develop Safety Talks library
- Stay current with legislation changes and ensure organization complies with/implements standards, technical documents, policies and procedures
- Make recommendations on personal protective equipment and oversee approved safety supplies list
- Organize noise mapping and air/noise assessments as required
- Perform ergonomic assessments and recommend suitable tools/ equipment
- Encourage site-consistency in equipment use and processes
- Assess and create action plans environment risks; audit and improve waste disposal and recycling processes
- Lead employee team(s) towards minimizing environmental impact
- Draft, update, evaluate HSE standards, procedures, forms
- Travel between Ontario sites as required (2-5 days/month)
- Attend training, conferences and symposiums as required
The successful candidate(s) must be willing to learn, open-minded and flexible, organized and detail oriented, team oriented, disciplined, and must have a positive attitude, along with the following qualifications:
- Health, Safety, Environment related certificate, diploma, degree, or equivalent
- One or more years working in a similar role is an asset
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment is an asset
- Detailed-oriented and highly organized is a must
- Team-oriented, positive attitude, high aptitude, humble and willingness to learn
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Self-motivated; able to schedule priorities as assigned and working with minimal direct supervision
- Well-developed analytical and critical thinking skills
- Creative and innovative with focus on problem solving
MacLean Engineering has been a leading innovator of underground mining equipment solutions for over 40 years. As we continue to expand our product range and geographic footprint, we remain privately owned and consistently focused on the Company founder’s original engineered design imperatives – safety, productivity and enduring quality. MacLean Engineering has three manufacturing facilities located in Collingwood, Owen Sound, and our newest facility in Barrie. Our workforce is comprised of various skilled trades working together in a safety and quality oriented environment to produce components and equipment to the underground mining industry, as well as the municipal, environmental, and industrial sectors.
We offer competitive wages and benefits including:
- 3 weeks' vacation annually
- Flexible Group benefits Package (Once probationary period is completed)
- Voluntary DPSP (Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan) and GRRSP (Group Registered Retirement Savings Plan) (Once probationary period is completed)
- Annual Employee Bonus
If you are interested in being a part of an established and growing Canadian Company, we want to hear from you!
MacLean Engineering is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005).
MacLean Engineering will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
If applying via e-mail, please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line.